Tampa divorce attorneys family lawyers in Tampa, Riverview, Apollo Beach, Brandon, Carrollwood, Northdale, South Tampa, Hillsborough County, Pinellas County, Pasco County Florida
Se Habla Español Call NOW for a *FREE Consultation 813-672-1900 Or TEXT to (813) 543-8960 Financing Available * Free in most cases
  • Facebook
  • Search

Tampa Default Divorce Attorneys

Family & Divorce Lawyers

There are several ways that a default final judgment can be obtained in a divorce or other family law matter as follows below.  Since 1997, the family law and divorce lawyers at All Family Law Group, P.A. in Tampa have experience with all divorce and family law matters, whether they are complex or uncontested and we strive for the best representation.  Contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled Tampa divorce lawyers who can answer your questions regarding obtaining a default judgment.

No Timely Response When Served with Petition

In divorce and family law cases, the person who files the petition is known as the petitioner and the person against whom the case is filed is known as the respondent.  The petition is filed with the court in the county in which the petitioner and respondent last resided together.  The petition must be served by personal service upon the respondent at his or her address.  A process server can be a private company designated to serve process in Florida or it may be done by a Sheriff Deputy.

The process server will file a notice with the court certifying that service has been accomplished upon the respondent, at what address and at what date and time, once the process server has served the petition on the respondent.  When the respondent is served, he or she will receive a Summons which will give instructions to the respondent as to how he or she must proceed. The Summons will notify him or her that he or she has 20 days to file a response with the court and to send a copy of the response to the petitioner.

The petitioner may file a motion for clerk’s default and it will be entered by the clerk if the respondent does not respond within 20 days after the date of service.  Even if the respondent does not send the petitioner a copy of the response, since all divorce and family law pleadings are online, it is possible to determine whether or not the respondent has filed a response before submitting the motion for default to the clerk.

The petitioner can proceed to finalize the case without including the respondent if the default is entered by the clerk. He or she will have to be notified of the final hearing; however, the respondent is prohibited to file any responsive pleadings unless he or she files a motion to overturn the default.

When there are no children, marital assets or debts, it is very simple to schedule an uncontested final hearing wherein you will receive what you are asking for in the final judgment which the petitioner prepares for the judge to sign. Essentially, it is that you will obtain a divorce.  If there are children, marital assets or debt or alimony issues, then it will require a final hearing where testimony is heard by and evidence provided to the court concerning the children and other issues relevant to the case.

Setting Aside a Default

If a default is entered, the respondent may filed a motion to set aside the clerk’s default if the respondent wants to become active in the case.  In general, the respondent must prove at a hearing before the court the following:

1) excusable neglect – i.e., being in a position where you cannot respond to the petition.  Ignorance of the law is not an excuse;

2) meritorious defense – i.e, prove that you have a chance of benefiting from the case moving forward and especially if there are children involved; and

3) you acted with due diligence to seek relief from the default.  In other words you acted quickly to request that the court set aside the clerk’s default.

Contact Our Divorce & Family Attorneys Now

If you have questions regarding divorce and family law, contact the experienced and trusted highly rated Tampa lawyers at All Family Law Group, P.A. We are committed to providing you with the best representation possible. Call 813-672-1900 or contact our firm online to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case and the options available to you.

All Family Law Group, P.A.
The law firm of All Family Law Group, P.A. provides legal services to the Florida cities including Tampa, Clearwater, Brandon, Riverview, Hyde Park, South Tampa, Ybor City, Northdale, Valrico, Gibsonton, Lithia, Mango, Palm River, Plant City, Seffner, Sun City Center, Wimauma, Apollo Beach, Ruskin, Temple Terrace, Carrollwood, Northdale, Westchase, Citrus Park, Town N Country, Thonotosassa, Lutz, Fish Hawk, New Tampa, St. Petersburg, Palm Harbor, MacDill Air Force Base and all of Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco Counties. We will also represent DIVORCE clients in Polk, Hernando or Manatee Counties.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission from All Family Law Group, P.A.

MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2014 - 2024 All Family Law Group, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website SEO by Lynette Silon-Laguna and website management by MileMark Media.

Contact Form Tab